Quick Links

Quick Links

St Mary's Catholic Primary School, Isleworth



Q/. How does communication between the school and parents work?

A/. In a primary school most communication will be face to face but this is not always possible.  

We publish a range of information about our curriculum and learning on the class pages and there’s an online school calendar.  There’s a termly class newsletter (on the class pages) and weekly whole school newsletter which is uploaded to the newsletter page of the website.  To receive the newsletter via email please register using this link. On the class pages you will also find the homework diary for each week.  

We will send messages to parents via the Parent Hub app.  To download the app please visit this link. 

From Summer 2021 the Parent Ambassador Group will provide a platform:

• for parents to pose questions and get answers about the running of the school

• for parents to give their views and influence the direction of the school

• for the school and Governors to share relevant information on school policy / developments

• for the school and Governors to get feedback and views from parents

For a full explanation please read our communication guidelines.

Q/. What are the school day timings?

A/. Children go straight into class from 8.45am.  School ends at 3.10pm for Reception to Year Six children.  It's 8.45am-11.45pm for Nursery children.

Q/.  What do I do if my child is late to school?

A/.  If your child is late for school, even by a few minutes, it is vital that you go to the School Office.  This is not just so that we can monitor punctuality, but is essential for fire safety and security.  You must take your child to the school office if you arrive at school after 8:55am.  Do not take them to class office if the gates are still open.

Q/. What are the arrangements for Friday afternoons?

A/. These arrangements cover Y2-6 as EYFS and Y1 are not involved in the Friday afternoon provision. Children in Y1-6 should come into school in their PE kits, they will remain in their kit for the whole day.  On Friday afternoons every Y2-6 class will have one session of PE taken by an external provider - Kick London.  The other session will be covered by the school staff.  Children will be dismissed at the end of the day in the normal way.  Children without PE kit will still take part in the activities.

Q/. Who needs PE kit?

A/. All children in Y1-6 need PE kit.  Children in EYFS will not need PE kit as they will not be changing for activities.  Children in Y1-6 have 2 PE sessions a week.  Y4 children swim and this counts for one of these sessions.  Y5 children will also swim in the Autumn term 2021 and if the pool can accommodate, continue in the Spring term 2022.

Q/. How do I report my child's absence from school?

A/. You only need to inform us using one of these methods. Please either telephone the school on 020 8560 7166 as soon as possible and on each day of your child’s absence from school; we have a dedicated answering service where you can leave a message.  Or use the dedicated absence form on the 'Contact Us' tab.  It is very important that you let us know your child’s symptoms so that we can monitor any possible epidemics.  If your child has an appointment you will need to use the form and then email the full details to reply@smi.hounslow.sch.uk.  We need these details for reporting purposes.  Please send a letter of explanation to school on your child's return.

Q/. How do I go about arranging school dinners for my child?

A/. School meals are free and compulsory for Infant children.  All meals choices need to be booked via ParentPay.  For Junior children you will need to be pay for the meals via ParentPay when you book them. If you’ve forgotten your log on details please call into the school office.  If you don’t have internet access at home you can use one of the office computers to charge your account.  Sometimes we have a special menu (for instance Patron Saints, Ash Wednesday and the Christmas Meal) on these days the choices on ParentPay don’t change and you will need to use the colours of the replacement meal options and make your choice in the usual way.  

Q/.  How can I buy school uniform?

A/. Our main uniform supplier is School Days in Whitton High Street. You can order online here.  Details of other providers are available from the school office.

Q/. Can I take my child out of school for a holiday during term time?

A/. No.  Holiday during term time will not be authorised.  Ordinarily any absences (other than through illness) will be recorded as unauthorised and you may incur a fixed penalty fine and risk your child losing their place at our school.  

Q/. How do I apply for a place in your school for my child?

A/. As we are a Voluntary Aided school Governors oversee admissions to the school.  Please look here and then contact the school office if you are interested in a place for your child.

Q/. How will I be informed if there is an enforced school closure?

A/.  We will send a message out to parents via the Parent Hub app as well as putting a message on the home page of the website.  You can also check the Hounslow website.

Q/. What do I do if my child is prescribed medication?

A/. Parents can arrange to come into school to administer medication to their own children if necessary.  Antibiotic doses that are administered 3 times a day should be given before and after school and at bedtime. If the medicine is required 4 times a day please ask in the office to arrange a time for you or another relative to give any additional required dose.  For long term or ongoing medication, parents are asked to complete and sign a School Health Care Plan, a copy can also be requested at the office.  Children with asthma, severe allergies, etc keep their medication in the Medical Room; these are given by a First Aid trained member of staff.

Q/. How long before my child can return to school after an illness?

A/. In the case of vomiting and diarrhoea your child should remain absent from school for 48 hours following their last episode.  If you are unsure please call us.

Q/. What do I do if I need to see a teacher?

A/. Teachers are normally available for brief enquiries before and after school. If you need a longer appointment, please contact your child's teacher or the office staff who will be happy to arrange this for you.  Parent teacher meetings are held once a term.  The summer session is a drop-in with no need to sign up.  Details of how to sign up will be sent to you closer to the time.  

Q/. Why does the school ask for contributions a Maintenance fund?

A/. As a Voluntary Aided school St Mary’s receives 90% of these funds from the Government with the remaining 10% coming from contributions (in the form of standing orders) from parents.  These standing orders can be set to pay monthly (£8.50) or £102 yearly.  If you are a UK tax payer then the Diocese can reclaim the tax as Gift Aid.  For this reason UK tax payers are asked to pay their contributions into the Diocesan controlled account. 

Q/. How are parents’ evening slots booked?

A/.  For 2020/21 we have used SchoolCloud to enable parents to book appointment slots and this has worked well.  We will continue to use it for 2021/22.

Q/. How quickly do you respond to letters or emails?

If you email regarding an arrangement for your child, we will respond as quickly as possible. However, if you are reporting a change to arrangements for the same day, we would advise you to telephone, if possible. If you don't get an acknowledgement of an email, please contact again, in case it has gone astray.  We aim to acknowledge letters/emails within five working days, however, depending on the nature of the enquiry, a full response may take a little longer.

Q/. How do I make a complaint?

A/. Every effort will be made to meet with parents, to listen to their concerns, offer explanation or an apology and agree a way forward.   Occasionally a concern will be too serious to be handled in this way, perhaps needing greater investigation; or the person concerned may not feel that the answers given so far have been acceptable or adequate. In such circumstances, the concern will become a complaint and the formal procedure should be rigorously followed.  You can see our complaint’s policy here.